The Second Judicial Circuit Guardian ad Litem Program is hosting a training of interest to volunteer guardians ad litem.
Join us on Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM at our offices on Thomasville Road for Educational Advocacy Certification Program.
In concert with self-study reading assignments and a separate educational surrogate class, this training provides advanced information and tools volunteers and staff can use for educational advocacy.
- Classroom Topics
- Individual education plans (IEP) and what they mean
- Exceptional student education (ESE), Section 504 eligibility requirements and the 504 plans
- Response to intervention: what is it and what role can you play?
- Testing requirements: national (ACT, PSAT, SAT), state (FCAT) and local (BAT)
- How to access services mandated by the interagency agreement (e.g., transportation)
- Graduation requirements
- Student promotion and retention policies
- School district policies for absences
- Interpreting school report cards
- Free and reduced lunch eligibility
- Local policy on bullying prevention
- Services for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) middle and high school students
Educational Advocacy Certification Program: Need to Know includes all of the self-study materials in a single download (200 pages). It is recommended that you read the "need to know" packet prior to the classroom sessions. This is not a prerequisite; however information in the self-study materials will be used in the classroom, so it will help for you to be familiar with it.
Also available for reference is the Educational Advocacy Document Library, containing the self-study items plus an additional 252 pages all separated into twenty-nine topical documents.
Participants may receive three (3) hours of continuing education credit for the classroom sessions and four (4) hours of credit for the self-study reading assignments. Afterward, report your hours quickly and easily using our eForm.
The training is free. You can download the event flyer and register with the event contact below.
Second Judicial Circuit Guardian ad Litem Program
Educational Advocacy Certification Program
Leon County Court Annex
1920 Thomasville Road, Tallahassee, Florida 32303
Saturday, April 18, 2015, 1:00 PM–4:00 PM
- Event Contact