The Value of Guardian ad Litem Volunteers
- For Children
- Do better in school
- 50% less likely to return to foster care
- Have fewer placements
- Receive more services
- More likely to be adopted
- Spend less time in foster care
- For Florida
- 32 months — average volunteer service period
- $3,397 — cost to support a GAL volunteer
- $7,474 — average cost of donated time and gas by GAL volunteer
- $4,057 — return on investment per GAL volunteer
GAL volunteer contributions are PRICELESS!
Guardian ad Litem (GAL) volunteers are appointed by the court to advocate for children who have been removed from their homes due to allegations of abuse, abandonment or neglect. GALs develop a consistent relationship with the child, serve as educational advocates, help the child to experience and participate in normalcy activities and most importantly, they make recommendations to the court to ensure a safe, caring, stable and permanent environment for the child. Today, the GAL Program supports more than 9,200 volunteers serving more than 23,000 children.
GAL volunteers save the State of Florida $21,920,878 in salaries and benefits. It would take an additional 482 state employees to do this same work!
To Learn More: guardianadlitem.org or Call (866) 341-1GAL